Skip to content ↓
Clandon School

Clandon School Learning for life

    A Brief History of Our School

    West Clandon Church of England Village School

    A Brief History Written in 1990

    The school replaced an existing school which was run by the Misses Pinion for Lord Onslow’s estate workers.  The school building was on the grass where the Women’s Institute village sign now stands.  Lord Onslow made a contribution of £10 a year to the local school in each village where he owned property; the school fees in West Clandon being 1d per child per week.

    1882

    The school was built on land donated by Lady Augusta Onslow of Clandon Regis.

    1884

    The first Headmaster was appointed.  His salary was based on results, assessed by diocesan inspectors solely on the religious knowledge of pupils.  There was no other academic test, which caused division between church authorities and governors.  A number of governors resigned and payment by results was abandoned.

    Regular weekly visitors were the Rector, who gave scripture lessons, and his wife, who examined the needlework.  Musical drill was also considered of great importance.  The curriculum was wide ranging but no special mention was made of the three Rs, the teaching of which was taken for granted.  However, detailed lists are given of poems and songs to be taught in each class along with ‘Object Lessons’ divided into four categories, Animal, Vegetable, Mineral and Miscellaneous.

    1892

    A muster of materials bought and used during the year revealed that 20 yards of calico and flannel were missing and the unfortunate Miss Smith, assistant teacher, was unable to account for the discrepancy.  History does not record the outcome.

    1895

    The roll fell from around 100 in 1895 to 65 in 1900, dropping slowly to 40 in World War II.

    1902

    The first Empire Day was held on 21st May to celebrate the anniversary of Queen Victoria’s birthday (the Queen died in 1901).  The school celebrated the event each year with musical drill, patriotic songs and saluting the flag flown from the flag staff in the playground.  For several years Miss Du Buisson rewarded each child with a bun.

    1911

    HM Inspector’s report commented on the poor lighting in the infants’ room because of overhanging trees and noted that plumbing water to the toilets would be a great improvement which could be easily carried out.  [In 1989 a new toilet at last received planning permission and, once built, enabled children for the first time to use the lavatories and wash their hands in the same room.]

    1912

    Cookery lessons for girls were given in the house kitchen and six girls were admitted for the first time to the gardening lessons for boys which had been running for a number of years.  School soup dinners were provided by the Countess of Onslow for children who were unable to get home for dinner in the bad weather.

    1914

    School dinners became a regular feature and by 1942 the cost had risen to 4d per pupil.  Annual school picnics were held on the downs and school sports at Clandon Park with Countess Onslow providing the tea.

    1919

    Swimming lessons were started at the Guildford Baths and later moved to Effingham.

    1929

    Woodwork classes started in East Clandon.  Bottled snakes and other exhibits were presented for the school museum.

    1932

    The School milk scheme started although only 19 children took milk.

    1939-45

    During World War II the school and village hall were shared with evacuees from a Fulham school, the local children attending the school during the mornings and moving to the village hall for the afternoons while the evacuees used the school.  Eventually the school returned to its normal routine and only the evacuees used the village hall.  The first of many air raid warnings sounded on 20th August 1940 and then with increasing frequency as the Battle of Britain progressed.  First Aid lessons were given by a governor and the air raid warden called regularly to check gas masks.

    1944-68

    The school became a Junior Mixed and Infants school in 1944 with 42 children.  This number dropped to 33 and then over the years increased with the building of houses at Meadowlands and the Glebe.  When the East Clandon School closed in 1968 the number of children rose to 100 and a temporary class room was built.

    1970

    The Parent Teacher Association paid for the installation of the swimming pool.

    1976

    The School became the Clandon Church of England Village School with children leaving at the age of eight.  Many children came from outside the two villages.  Numbers stabilised between 50 and 60 until 1989 when, due to the closing of schools in East and West Horsley, numbers again increased to the maximum of 80 children.

    1990

    The school governors were responsible for the decoration and maintenance of the outside of the buildings with Surrey County Council responsible for interior decoration and maintenance.

    2016

    Clandon School returns to being a primary school.  Children remain at the school at the end of the infant phase and move into the junior phase of their education.  The swimming pool and old toilet blocks are demolished, making way for additional classrooms.